2. Toile fitting
You can also create a toile of the garment. This is pronounced TWARLL. A toile is a protoype made in a fabric with similar qualities but less expensive than the final fashion fabric. However, there is also a fabric called Toile du Joy. Toile comes from the French for a “linen cloth” or “canvas” for painting on, hence why toiles are often made in cheap calico to test.
* Very accurate representation of the final garment which is easy to mark for modifications.
* Allows the maker to ‘test run’ any constructions techniques or sample different finishing techniques.
* Position of design features such as pockets can be placed, seen and checked.
* You can decide if you actually like the garment before making it up in expensive fabric.
* Can be time consuming to make and adds an additional cost.